Home

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

SharePoint V3: Error: Shared Services Provider creation failed

DESCRIPTION:

When creating a new Shared Services Provider in a MOSS 2007 farm, the SSP creation results in an error:

"Failure! Shared Services Provider creation failedReason: Timed out waiting for Shared Services Provider 'SSPName' provisioning timer job to startCheck the event log for details. Note: SSP provisioning will be retried periodically. If you correct the error that caused this failure, provisioning will subsequently succeed. To stop provisioning from being retried, delete the SSP."



The SSP remains in "Provisioning" status.


SOLUTION:

Exam the event viewer for errors.

Refer to Microsoft KB article number 934838,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934838. If the failure error is being caused by a service account login failure, then use stsadm.exe to update the password of the service account.

Once the underlying issue is resolved, SSP will complete the provisioning process automatically.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That worked for me !!! THANKS

So what I am unclear on is where I went wrong - I specified my sharepoint service account when ever asked for an account during the install and configuration

Apparently, because I was logged into central admin as the local administrator while configuing the SSP it failed (something to do with it displaying "Welcome system account" I presume. The reason I was logged in as a local admin is because I am trying to create a single server enviro for development - any ideas on a better approach?

Blog Archive

Followers